Re: problem with make

Ian main (imain@vcc.bc.ca)
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 21:04:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Jared Mauch wrote:

> Please check out this page:
>
> http://www2.nether.net/~jared
>
> Pick the kernel victims page, and read on the make problem.
>
> - Jared
>
> Rani Chouha spewed:
> > Hi, I upgraded my kernel to 1.3.78 and also the gcc version to 2.7.2 but
> > since then, I couldn't run "make" anymore. I don't know if this is a gcc
> > issue or a kernel issue. whenevr try to compile with make I get: No rule
> > to make target 'clean' (for example) Stop. I can't even recompile the kernel.
> > Also when I do make -f Makefile, it seems to start compiling but then it
> > stops again with the same error when it leaves and enters another directory.
> > Did I misconfigure the new kernel? or is it not related to the kernel at all?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --Rani

I too had the same problem... There is a problem in make. There is,
thank goodness, a patch at ftp.cc.gatech.edu. I think (from memory) that
it is in /pub/linux/devel/make. It's the same version of make as the one
I had, but it's got called make-3.74patched.tar.gz (again from memory..
may be slightly different.) This fixed the problem right up!!!

imain@vcc.bc.ca