Re: Solutions to procps and 1.3.xx queries is needed! READ!

Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:05:05 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Greg Patterson wrote:

> A solution to all these annoying procps questions is really needed. Some
> ideas off the top of my head:
>
> 1. Users subscribing to linux-kernel should receive some mention of this?

I thing the subscription message should at least have something like:

Thank you for joining the linux-kernel mailing list, PLEASE READ THE
WHOLE OF THIS MESSAGE, before posting anything. <rest of welcome>....

Please read the faq, and howto, which can be found in the following places:
ftp: ftp... in /.../kernel.faq
ftp... in /.../Kernel-HOWTO
ftp://.../.../kernel.faq
ftp://.../.../Kernel-HOWTO
www: http://.../.../kernel.faq
http://.../.../Kernel-HOWTO

You should read these BEFORE posting, as asking questions that are
answered in the FAQ/HOWTO, is considered bad eticate (sp?), and will not
be receved well.

> 2. Perhaps some sort of probe (ps --version) can be made which runs
> during a 'make config' (does Configure allow for this?) that tells the
> user she needs to get a newer procps package (and where to get it!!).

Unfortunatly procps dosen't allow this, it has no --version ....

> A nice big warning dialog in make xconfig/menuconfig should also
> exist.

yep

> 3. At least mention a new procps is needed in /usr/src/linux/README so
> those with partial clues (ie. people who take the time to at least
> read the README) won't come asking here.

I think that pointers to the howto, and linux-kernel faq, and even
pointers to the web site of things that have been broken.

> Greg.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgoten,    \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.