Re: probs with d-link cards.

Emil Stepniewski (emil@oeiizk.waw.pl)
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 00:22:52 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Dave O'Reilly wrote:

> hi there,
> I just have a couple of questions that I hope
> someone can answer for me...
> I have a

> - 2 x D-Link 530CT 32bit PCI Ethernet cards

> Now, I was having a look at the kernel source, and the
> d-link 530 doesn't seem to be directly supported, and I was
> first of all , wondering did anyone know of a card that is
> supported that this card is compatible with.
[snip]

D-Link DE-530CT Ethernet card is based on DEC DC21040 controller
so it works great with TULIP driver (kernel 1.3.86 or newer).
At least works for me.

But why I'm posting this answer to linux-kernel is that I'd like
to know if there are any materials about Linux hardware compatibility
and supporting, especially about hardware that is not directly supported
as the example of DE-530.
I'd like also to know about hardware that is not and rather won't be
supported because of any reason, for example because of stupid behaviour
of its manufacturer about not making any technical docs available.

Emil