Re: Unices are created equal, but ...

Gerard Roudier (groudier@iplus.fr)
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 11:38:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 14 Apr 1996, dennis wrote:

> Gerard Roudier says after comparing current linux to Freebsd 2.0.5.....
>
> >Even if this benchmark is a little questionnable, I invite people who say or
> >write that Unix B is FASTER than Unix A to stop, or to say or write
> >the OPPOSITE
>
> I think the NEW thing to say is that Linux is now only 1 year behind FreeBSD.
> That sounds about accurate.
>
> Dennis

> Gerard Roudier says after comparing current linux to Freebsd 2.0.5.....

> >Even if this benchmark is a little questionnable, I invite people who say or
> >write that Unix B is FASTER than Unix A to stop, or to say or write
> >the OPPOSITE

> I think the NEW thing to say is that Linux is now only 1 year behind FreeBSD.
> That sounds about accurate.

> Dennis

I am very disappointed. It seems that people of Unix B mailing list who have
understood the true meaning of my questionnable comparison do not reply to
that mail.

1 - In France at least, Unix end users do not see lots of differences between
Unices.
They run Unix or some other proprietary systems.
Is that system "Unix A", "Unix B" or "Unix S"? It is not the question.
The question is to use a Unix system or a Gates's system.
A little unfair for us.
( Did youd remember some recent thread in the linux kernel list?)

2 - People that claim that Unix B is FASTER than Unix A rarely
indicate the versions of systems (nor the used benchmarks).
I was expecting that Unix B version 2.0.5 was still a little FASTER that
Unix A version 1.3.87, and I get the OPPOSITE.
The difference is that I wrote that my benckmark is "questionnable" and
give enough informations to guess missing informations.
Most of Unix end users are not able to guess the MISSING informations.
They BELEIVE what we CLAIM.

3 - It seems to me that now, current Linux is as FAST as FreeBSD-current.
Good news!!!!!!!!!!
It is difficult to have both Linux and FreeBSD in their current version.
Only linux is up to date on my machine.
If you are a FreeBSD-current user and if you have about the same
configuration as mine, can you run the old BYTE benchmark
and send to me your results?
Thanks per advance,

Best Regards, Gerard.