1.3.88 stress testing (was: .. and oh, btw ..)

Craig Schlenter (schz@kidd.co.za)
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 19:08:23 +0200 (SAT)

On Sat, 13 Apr 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:
[munch]
> In mm/memory.c, function verify_area(), there is a test that looks like
> if (expand_stack(vma, start))
> goto good_area;
> but that test is actually reversed, and should be
> if (expand_stack(vma, start) == 0)
> goto good_area;
[munch]

I have just tried running Bernd Schmidt's make -j script on a clean
1.3.88 and 1.3.88 with the above patch. The clean 1.3.88 fails with the
odd SIG11 and SIG6 but the patched version is perfect. Excellent work!!

(I've tagged a copy of Bernd's script on below for those linux-kernel
people who missed it the first time around and want to stress their
machines a little. On the subject of SIG11: the memtest program on sunsite
does an excellent job of sniffing out bad RAM and even found a buggy
motherboard for me which kept gettting SIG11's)

--Craig

PS. Don't expect to get any useful work done while this script runs. Also
I have 16M RAM and used about 20M swap space during this test. Had a load
average of 64 for a while too!
-------------------------CUT HERE--------------------------
#! /bin/sh

cp /usr/src/linux/kernel/sysctl.c sysctl-0.c
cat >Makefile <<\EOF
OBJS=\
EOF
NUM=0