Re: 16 MB -> 32 MB, a memory problem resolved!

William M. Perkins (bill@grnwood.grnwood.richmond.us.net)
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 22:23:12 -0400 (EDT)

> On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> > 32M-384k is _NORMAL_ and the point I was trying to make.
> > The 384k is reserved by the motherboard, and is damned near
> > impossible to access (it varies from board to board).
> > It is used for stuff like caching the BIOS and VGA ROMs
> > so that it doesn't go completely to waste. If you disable
> > caching you _still_ don't get the memory back either.
> >
> > -- Andrew E. Mileski --
> It's waisted in Linux, as it doesn't use the bios (well some parts, but
> very little, eg apm ....)
> If you can turn BIOS shadowing, and video shadowing off in the BIOS
> setup ....
>
> Bryn

Well, I have all of the bios shadowing turned off and that top
384 KB is still not available. I guess it never will be under
Linux.

Bill

--
William M. Perkins                       Internet - wperkins@us.net