Re: Creeping disapearances.

Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net)
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 10:54:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Michael Harnois wrote:

> I puzzled a long time over the syslogd/klogd problem, too. Finally I
> discovered that they won't load before kerneld loads. Are they a.out,
> perhaps? I kludged around the problem by reversing the load order of
> sysklogd and kerneld in /etc/rc2.d.

I found my system configured just like yours. However, I fixed the
problem another way. The major difference between my .80 kernel and the
.91 one, is that the latter has a.out support as a module and the former
has it built-in. Thus is .80, the loggers were loadable even though
kerneld wasn't available yet. 'file /sbin/syslogd' says it is "Linux/i386
demand-paged executable (QMAGIC) - stripped". I can only assume that this
is not loadable by a kernel with only ELF support.
Anyone know what file type these should be to be loaded in an ELF only
system?

Dwarf

aka Dale Scheetz Phone: 1 (904) 877-0257
Flexible Software Fax: NONE
Black Creek Critters e-mail: dwarf@polaris.net