Re: FIN_WAIT2 backoff on 1.3.92

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:48:08 +0200

On 22 Apr 96 at 14:02, BearHeart / Bill Weinman wrote:

> At 07:08 pm 4/22/96 +0100, Matthew J Brown spake:
> >I have exactly the same problem. Is this a web server host, by
> >any chance?
>
> Yes it is, running apache 1.0.0. And it's relatively busy.
>
> >I think this is an old problem, and not due to something recent; I
> >recall it happening with much earlier kernels.

I think the problem is that for WAIT FIN_2 there's no timeout
defined, because the other party should resend packets. Unfortunately
some parties seem to leave early. This problem also exists in HP-UX
9.04; especially with WINSOCK clients (Novell LAN Workplace 4.2).
HP offers a patch to add timeouts.

Ulrich