Re: memtest86, built into kernel

Tue, 23 Apr 1996 15:09:46 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> >Even good RAM has some single-bit errors after a few weeks. It can be
> >caused by radioactivity (alpha particles) for example.
> Hmmm, where is your alpha particle producer in a closed computer box?
> When I remember my physics examination right, alpha particles are stopped
> even by paper, beta and especially gamma radiation are the ``difficult to
> limit'' ones. So I assume that the plastic cover on the RAM chips is
> protection enough, right?

And the source, rember that everything is a little radioactive, though
not much is actually produced. the beta radiation won't get much further
than the metal case, and the gamma will proberbly pass strate through
unnoticed. The only other type of radiation that's likely to cause
problems is heavy ion (and it will cause problems), but your unlikely to
ever see that unless your sitting by a particle accelerator (and I mean
in the lab, in line with the beam).

> Andreas

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.