Re: Proposal: Hotkey-handling with kerneld

Martin Buck (Martin-2.Buck@student.uni-ulm.de)
Fri, 26 Apr 96 13:18 MET DST

Gonzalo Tornaria <gtornari@varela.reu.edu.uy> wrote:
> I've done something like that.. I added a handler for some extra
> keysyms, but I don't use request_module() but kerneld_send(), and a
> special channel. I have a daemon that gets the messages and pass them
> to a script (independient of kerneld).
>
> I'll put it in <http://www.cmat.edu.uy/~tornaria/consoled/>.
> Everybody feel free to download and try it, and email me comments,
> ideas, whatever.

Great. This does exactly what I've been thinking about. Is there anybody who
thinks this shouldn't become a part of the standard kernel before 2.0? I
know we have a code freeze, but the changes to the kernel are really very
small and probably can't break anything.

Some short comments Gonzalo's implementation:

Maybe it might be useful to use keysym-names which are a bit more
descriptive like Hot0..Hot255. These names are stored only in
loadkeys/dumpkeys, so they don't waste precious kernel-memory.

Also, it might be useful to have a configuration file for consoled that
allows you to control which program gets exec'd for which hotkey instead of
running do_kbdreq which then has to exec yet another program [Gonzalo: I'll
add this to consoled if you don't want to do it yourself]. It should also be
possible to run the programs with the uid of the user who is logged in on
the current console instead of uid 0. Is it possible to get this uid from
user-space or should this information be sent from kernel-space together
with the consoled-request?

Martin

--
/* Martin Buck                      E-Mail: martin-2.buck@student.uni-ulm.de */