Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #184

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@medman.ag.or.at)
Sun, 28 Apr 1996 12:48:27 +0200 (MET DST)

> From: jms@pobox.com
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 96 19:14 CDT
> Subject: Re: /proc/misc has bad mode

> mu> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >>
> >> But what are you doing with /dev? I need to mount /dev read-write to
> >> change e.g. on login the permissions on /dev/tty*. And I fear I cannot
> >> put /dev on a different partition, can I (I think I need /dev to mount
> >> other partitions and if I don't have /dev ... :-( )?
>
> mu> Easy. Unmount everything, then do a
> mu> - cd /
> mu> - cp -a dev var ## if you are singleuser
> mu> - mount /var
> mu> - cp -a dev var ## for multiuser operation
> mu> - rm -rf dev; ln -s var/dev .
>
> Now, umount /var and then show me how you are going to mount it again
# umount /var
# ls -d /var/dev
/var/dev
> without a /dev entry for the disk.
But you have a /dev/entry for the disk. The point is, that you have a
``dual'' dev directory: One on /, and one on /var. /var/dev on / is used
when /var is not mounted, and /var/dev on /var if /var is mounted.
Believe me, it works, I've done this before. (actually not with /dev, but
with other critical data :) )

Andreas