Re: 1.3.95: reset did not complete at ei_rx_overrun

Ronald Wahl (Ronald.Wahl@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 09:59:34 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> Ronald Wahl (Ronald.Wahl@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
> Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:18:47 +0200 (MET DST)
>
> > Just got this message seven times with 1.3.95:
> >
> > eth0: reset did not complete at ei_rx_overrun
> >

> > What's this? - A bug?
>
> It means that you are using an 8390 based card that is suffering a
> large number of overruns. When an overrun happens, the 8390 is reset.
> Sometimes when the card is really being swamped, the 8390 decides not
> to ACK that the reset has completed.

I have a SMC Elite 16+ (WD8013) with 16k shared memory.

> The real question is what are you doing to generate this much Rx traffic
> directed at your card? One other person here recently had the same
> problem, and found that he was doing something inadvertently that was
> enabling promisc. mode, thus explaining the huge Rx traffic load.

I got my mail at this moment via imap/ssh. I had never such problems also
with very heavy traffic and promisc mode enabled. Maybe it is fixed in
1.3.96.

ron

--
\ Ronald Wahl --- rwa@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de   \