Re: IDE Disk speed enhancements

David A Willmore (willmore@cig.mot.com)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 17:13:28 -0500

On Apr 27, 3:59pm, mlord wrote:
> David A Willmore wrote:
> > I have tried this recently, but with my qd6580 VLB IDE interface, this
seems to
> > make no difference. I have the append "ide0=qd6580" in my lilo config and
the
> > kernel parses it correctly. Does this interface serialize and I don't know
> > about it?
>
> See qd6560.c for this info. The kernel does NOT serialize this
> interface, but then the kernel also only knows how to tune ide0
> for the qd6560 -- does it actually have a second set of IDE ports??

Right, I looked at that, but, from my 'observation' of how the qd6580 DOS
driver works, the qd6580.c driver may be doing more than it thinks. I'll know
more when I get a copy of DOSEMU which logs I/O accesses.

Yes, my 'Vision' brand VLB super I/O card has two IDE ports on it. One seems
to be an EIDE port and the second seems to be a normal ISA IDE port. I haven't
fully verified this.

Cheers,
David