Re: ALPHA ambiguity

Mike Shaver (shaver@neon.ingenia.com)
Mon, 29 Apr 1996 12:59:35 -0400 (EDT)

Thus spake Taner Halicioglu:
> On Sun, 28 Apr 1996, Mike Shaver wrote:
>
> > (Perhaps `Alpha quality' and `Digital AXP' to be even clearer?)
>
> What's wrong with "DecAlpha" (for the machine, of course), and leave
> "Alpha" to describe alpha-stage development? You can always name the
> directory "decalpha"... Just seems logical to me *shrug*
>
> (I only post this 'cuz I haven't seen it suggested yet - unless it got
> lost somewhere ;-)

Because you've still got one ambiguity:
Alpha could still mean either, and unless you're very conscious of the
convention in use, you won't know. We need 2 terms, neither of which
can be mistaken for the other, and which don't require knowledge of
the other to understand.

We may have to use two words for each. =)

Mike

--
#> Mike Shaver (shaver@ingenia.com) Ingenia Communications Corporation <#
#>      Chief System Architect -- will tame sendmail(8) for food       <#