Re: system.h kernel 1.3.82

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 01:01:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, B. James Phillippe wrote:

> On 2 Apr 1996, root wrote:
>
> > get the following error when trying to compile the new 1.3.82
> >
> > /usr/src/linux-1.3.82/include/asm/system.h: In function `unregister_firewall':
> > /usr/src/linux-1.3.82/include/asm/system.h:213: inconsistent operand constraintsmake[3]: *** [firewall.o] Error 1
> > make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-1.3.82/net/core'
> > anyone have a work around?
>
> Yeah but it's a brutal ugly hack. Run a diff on system.h and system.h
> from some other kernel and you'll see that 'volatile' is missing on two
> lines; in front of a struct declaration and a void pointer. Just add it
> back there. You'll get a clean compile.. but who knows if/when it'll
> blow up.
>
> -B
>
> --
> # B. James Phillippe # System Administrator, eternity.aa.net #
> # System Technician, Zebu Systems, LLC (http://www.zebu.com) #
> # bryan@eternity.aa.net -or- http://eternity.aa.net/~bryan #
> # (Ab)using Linux since coronation (1.1.59). # Thanks Linus! #

Shouldn't adding volatiles make it MORE stable? I thought the only reason
'volatile' existed was to prevent the compiler from makeing optimizations of
a certain kind... adding any number of volatiles should slow code down, but
make it more stable, am I right?

__kmb203@psu.edu_____________________________Debian/GNU__Linux__1.3.77___
"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."