Re: IP_ACCOUNTING wraps? longword?

Mikael Abrahamsson (mike@uplift.sparta.lu.se)
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 13:28:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Jos Vos wrote:

> > Is IP_ACCOUNTING using a simple longword for the byte count? It looks to
> > me that my /proc/net/ip_acct must have wrapped at around 4 gigs, which
> > kinda makes sense, doesnt it?
>
> Yes, it's an unsigned long. If you have that many traffic, you might
> want to consider to reset the value at certain intervals. Use
> "ipfwadm -Alzx" for this purpose (print current values and resets at
> the same time).

I guess this is the short term solve, but it'd be neat if this would be
fixed. 4 gigs of data over the net is nothing today.

Would be kinda nice to have some kind of fix that used 64 bit or turned
that 32 bit into a suffixed K and M when needed and truncated the data by
1024 ?