Re: Fix for SLOW PPP Bug

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 09:57:46 +0300 (EET DST)

On 6 Apr 1996, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> I have tried to isolate when this bug was introduced and found that
> 1.3.72 works fine but 1.3.73 has the problem. I noticed some ACK changes
> in net/ipv4/tcp.c and made some diffs to revert those changes.
>
> I applied the following patch to 1.3.73 and 1.3.84. The bug disppeared in both
> Kernel versions.

Could you check if this more minimal patch does the same thing? (against
a clean 1.3.84)

int linux/include/net/tcp.h, line 207 or so, remove the two lines that say

if (window >= MAX_WINDOW/2)
return 0;

Does that much smaller diff also make the performance ok again too?

Linus