Re: Overmounting a filesystem

Walter L. Preuninger II (walterp@rapidramp.com)
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:50:13 -0400

>[snip]
>
>>Why would you want to do such a thing anyway? If you need a filesystem
>>mounted onto another, make a subdirectory for that filesystem. Mounting a
>>filesystem in a populated directory hides the existing files anyway, how
>>do you benefit?
>
>Design a "overlay" filesystem.

I had a need to "enlarge" a file system, and since linux does not have
a lvm (logical volume manager) like aix [yet] I was wondering about multiple
device mounts on the same mount point to "join" different drives to that
mount point. As long as the filesystem is read only, no problems, but what
to do in a write situation.

I wanted to use md to enlarge the partition, but to add a drive, you have to
remake the filesystem, destroying the current data (Humm, theres an idea,
dynamic device adding to md drives!)

[more snipped]

>>IMHO, this all seems to boil down to laziness.
>
>Nope, just wanting to do strange things.

I solved my problem by using symlinks, ie
cd /as
ln -s /as2/* .

/dev/sda1 /as
/dev/hdd1 /as2