Re: sysv filesystem lockups

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Sun, 14 Apr 1996 13:57:07 +0300 (EET DST)

On 14 Apr 1996, Raul Miller wrote:

> I've experienced a number of system lockups after accessing sysv
> filesystems mounted on loopbacked files. These lockups don't always
> happen at the same point in the filesystem, so I don't think they're
> due to corrupt filesystems. [Sometimes I can mount the file system,
> copy the entire thing, then unmount safely. Other times they happen
> rather quickly.]
>
> These lockups happen much more rapidly when the underlying file is on
> a umsdos file system than when on a ext2 file system.

This is probably not a filesystem question: it looks like the loopback
(and possibly md) drivers are broken with newer kernels due to getting
confused about the plugs.

(and the reason why you see it more with some other filesystem is just
due to IO patterns)

Linus