Re: Must modules be GPL'ed?

Buddha Buck (phaedrus@dreamscape.com)
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 11:33:54 -0400

> Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.EDU.AU) wrote:
>
> : I think one of the reasons for having modules was the ability for people to
> : supply binary modules.
>
> I am absolutely ignorant in copyrighting-licensing-etc... stuff,
> but I feel that it would be wrong to ALLOW to supply binary modules.
>
> F.e. there exist obsolete binary drivers for riscom/n2 and et cards.
> Good, linux-2.0 will be issued tomorrow, SDL and ETinc. will issue new binary
> drivers in half of year. By this time, linux-2.0 will be obsoleted
> by 2.1, as it occured with 1.2.13 ...

Um, 1.2.13 hasn't been obsoleted (except by 1.2.14), anymore than any
software is obsoleted by the beta of the next release. x.(2n+1)
kernels are development, not stable, kernels.

--
     Buddha Buck                      bmbuck@acsu.buffalo.edu
"She was infatuated with their male prostitutes, whose members were