Re: .94 Floppies and Ethernet

Carlos Carvalho (carlos@fisica.ufpr.br)
Fri, 26 Apr 96 19:14 EST

Mark Eichin (eichin@athena.mit.edu) wrote on 25 April 1996 00:55:
>>> vorlon kernel: eth0: Bus master arbitration failure, status 88f2.
>
>Interesting -- I am getting this *exact* error (a few hundred times a
>day) on a 1.3.79 kernel. It was suggested (on one of the debian
>lists) that the problem was the video card I'm using (Diamond
>Stealth2000 DRAM, I think) which is said to "not play well with
>others". I'm also using an Adaptec pci scsi card and a AT-something
>PCI ethercard (when I'm back at the office, I'll check the manuals and
>tell you more precisely.)

I had the same problem with a Triton mb, Adaptec 2940UW (PCI), Diamond
Stealth 64 Video VRAM (PCI) and two different makes of PCI ether cards
with the lance chip. However, it also happened, though more rarely,
without the 2940. It may be a conflict between Diamond cards and the
lance chip, but notice that it happens with different Diamond cards.
Or it may be a bug in the lance chip... I had to remove the ether card
from the machine, and it's using a NE2000 clone now :-(

There's no problem between the 2940 and the Stealth 64.

Carlos