Re: ifconfig & module problems

Jeff Coy Jr. (jcoy@jcoy-ppp.cscwc.pima.edu)
Sat, 27 Apr 1996 01:41:26 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Andy Parkerson wrote:

> Kernel: 1.3.95 and previous (at least to .90)
>
> Whenever I run ifconfig, I get the following error messages:
>
> Apr 25 12:13:33 utnapishtim modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-4
> Apr 25 12:13:35 utnapishtim modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-3
> Apr 25 12:13:37 utnapishtim modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
>
> The program works, so I guess no harm, no foul. But what is going on?

ifconfig does something like search for AIX support (or something else you
aren't running- alan explained this at one point), and so the kernel asks
kerneld if it knows what ifconfig's talking about. the above is
kerneld's response (i can't find it).

all it means is ifconfig was looking for something it didn't find (and
probably didn't need). to get rid of the messages, just add

alias net-pf-3 off
alias net-pf-4 off
alias net-pf-5 off

to your /etc/modules.conf

jeff

---
Why Linux? source code. POSIX. tcpip. job control. support from the authors.
drivers for most hardware.  because one terminal or process is never enough.
    forget the other O/Ss, i use Linux- the choice of a GNU generation.