Re: dropping kerneld...

Andrew Tristan (andrew@babylon.riverside.ca.us)
Mon, 29 Apr 96 21:42 PDT

Newsgroups: linux.dev.kernel
From: andrew@babylon.riverside.ca.us (Andrew Tristan)
Subject: Re: striped swapping?
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:42:43 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960429115344.660B-100000@gytha.demon.co.uk>,
Bryn Paul Arnold Jones <bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>

>> Yes, IF you are using the new swapon from util-linux-2.5 or later, AND
>> you use the new priority flags to give both your swap partitions the
>> same priority. If you don't do this, then the earlier installed
>> partitions will be swapped to in preference to the later ones.
>>

>Ok, so how do I use it, I do:
># swapoff -a
># swapon -v -p 10 /dev/hda2
>
>I'm guessing about the 10, and it sais:
>swapon: illegal option -- p
>usege: swapon [-hV]
> swapon -a [-v]
> swapon [-v] [-p priority] special ...
>
>Hmm, look's broken to me, this is util-linux-2.5-7 (from the Red Hat
>distribution). I'm just about to get the source of the util-linux
>package from one of my cd's. Hmm, look's like it wasn't compiled with
>priorites on, time to recompile .... perhaps it sould have said that when
>I tryed to use them, oh well ... (and then not have the -p options appear
>in the usage). Going to fix my utils now ....

I tried and got the same, even after I made sure that SUPPORT_PRIORITIES
was defined in mount/sundries.h. ("./swapon -V" yields "swapon: version
from util-linux-2.5".)

--
Andrew Tristan                       No one shall drive us out of the
andrew@babylon.riverside.ca.us       paradise that Cantor has created.