Re: PPP not running, Oh, WHY?

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Thu, 2 May 1996 03:31:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 May 1996, Tamas Nyitrai wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have just installed kernel 1.3.92, but I can not get PPP to work. I
> have tried almost every kerneles form 1.3.81 an up, but neither of it
> worked with PPP.
>
> Now, this might seems to be the usual problem with "get a the new PPP
> daemon" or get the all the new stuffs... But this is not.
>
> The solution maybe is damned easy, but I can not figure it out.
> O.K. I compile the new kernel, rebooting, everything seems to be working
> fine, however it says the my system does not supports PPP and yes, the
> /proc/net/dev holds the same information, despite that at booting time
> PPP is seems to be there - al least that is what is says.
>
> Could anyone help me please?
>
> I even tried to compile PPP as modules, but that does not worked either.
>
> Thanking you in advance!
> Tamas
>
> -[.sig]---------------------------------------------------------------
> TAMAS NYITRAI mailto://defiant@mail.datanet.hu
> home page: http://www.datanet.hu/generations
> ** MY COMPUTER OPERATES ON L I N U X **
> Preserve nature! This e-mail was printed on 100% recycled electrons!

I don't know what caused this for me, or why it works now, but I got this
and then ftp'd the source for it and re-made it on the system. Note: I
_had_ PPP 2.2.0e?? and only upgraded to 2.2.0f, but I recompiled it on the
machine with the new kernel... maybe this is what did it.

Then again, maybe I bumped something else on the way...

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.3.97___
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
-- Justice Louis D. Brandeis