Re: X Windows and PPP

Steven N. Hirsch (hirsch@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu)
Thu, 02 May 1996 07:51:53 -0400

David McGlumphy wrote:

> Hello all,
> Someone wrote before about their ppp connection dropping when
> they started X up. Did anyone find a solution? Nothing has changed on
> this machine except the kernel version. I have no idea when this started,
> as it was a long time ago and I've just been putting up with it, hoping a
> newer kernel would fix it. The machine is a P90 with 8 megs ram/20 meg
> swap and never had any problems before. I can restart ppp after loading
> X, but it would be nice to not have the connection break every time I
> start it. Any ideas?
> Dave

Interesting. I started building kernels with the serial driver modularized, and
have been noticing a few bits of weirdness:

- PPP connections initiated by diald (which had been working flawlessly) began to
fail; hanging up seconds into negotiation without any error messages.

- Terminating gpm-1.08 in a console session locks the X-server mouse handler
unrecoverably (this never caused problems previously).

Rebuilding with the serial driver non-modular seemed to mitigate these glitches.

- Steve

|Steven N. Hirsch	"Anything worth doing is worth     |
|University of Vermont	 overdoing.." - Hunter S. Thompson |
|Computer Science / EE                                     |