Re: On the topic of noisy drivers...

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Sun, 5 May 1996 10:40:15 -0700

From: jhenders@bogon.com
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

In <199605021801.OAA10164@po_box.cig.mot.com> David A Willmore
<willmore@cig.mot.com> writes:

>I like this idea. Two lines/drive total and two more for a host adapter
>would be fine. I'll look into this.

As I assume this will also affect the info returned by dmesg, please
make sure a verbose flag can be set in lilo or passed to the kernel, as
I for one prefer the current verbose output, especially when looking for
problems with dmesg.

If we're going to consider decreasing the bootup verbosity, this should be a
kernel configuration option. There have been many times I've gone back to look
at old system logs to see if/when something started looking different, which
would not have been possible if the more verbose information were only logged
when specifically requested.

I suggest that some kind of consensus should be reached before any such changes
are made. This is not a bug to be fixed, but an aesthetic decision about which
reasonable people may disagree. I for one think useful verbosity is a good
thing. It costs very little in practice.

Leonard