Re: Other Screen Savers.

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Tue, 28 May 1996 09:08:00 +0200

On 24 May 96 at 14:01, Patrick Edwards wrote:

> I know people are already complaining about Kernel bloat (ie the
> CONFIG_RANDOM debate). But would it be possible to add extra screen savers
> into the kernel (as optional modules only). For example package the LOCKVC
> 1.9 (c) 1994,1995 by Matthias Straub. Or the twinkling stars from
> FreeBSD.

Originally screen savers should protect the valuable colour screens.
Meanwhile it seems a screen saver has to attract the attention to
idle computers. Thus I'd suggest to either enable VESA power saving
(the usual colour monitors consume about 100Watts, a harddisk maybe
only 10), or simply say "Come here and work with me" ;-)

If someone really likes my "VGASAV35" (DOS TSR) from garbo.uwasa.fi, I'll
supply the assembler source (yuk!)...

> Now i'm willing to write these myself if no one else is willing.
> But I need a little push in the right direction so I know where to start.
> I'll also need to ask someone questions about how to program this
> correctly as possible cause I've never do any hacking in the kernel
> source.
>
> reply-to: pje120@cs.usask.ca

Ulrich