Re: Java in OS?

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@nigel.vnet.net)
Thu, 02 May 1996 09:14:31 -0400

Buddha Buck writes:
>> Is there any possibility of Linux also doing this? It'd really be neat if
>> Linux could be first-on-the-market.
>
>I for one certainly hope not. Or, at least, not in the kernel. It
>seems to me to be both a waste of kernel space and an otherwise
>incredibly bad idea anyway.
>
>On the otherhand, a Java demon might be an interesting idea.
>Especially if it was a multithreaded Java demon.

No, not a daemon. Just make Java an executable file format that
uses an interpreter. Essentially the same as a shell script,
except that a few lines of magic get added that recognize a
Java app and call the interpreter. Just one more executable
file format that gets interpreted in user space.

michaelkjohnson