Re: FreeVMS?

Alan Cox (anos@crux.neurope.ikea.com)
Thu, 2 May 1996 10:59:18 +0100 (GMT+0100)

> > >Actually, I've heard that someone is working on a TRS-80 port to x86
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> > TRS-80 was the brand name Radio Shack sold their computer hardware
> > under. Depending on which model you had, you could run TRS-DOS,
> > CPM, and/or XENIX; or OS/9.
>
> In the immortal words from Foghorn, Leghorn, "I say, it's a joke, son!"
>
> It seemed to me that a VMS port would seem as ridiculous as a Trash-80
> port. Well, OK, maybe I should have specified which OS, I meant TRSDOS.
>
> Actually, maybe I could write an emulator, I've still got all those
> floppies still.......

I really hope that he meant a DCL SHELL, not the VMS core itself...it would
be rather interesting to write a DCL like shell for linux. Not that bash
lacks anything particular, but just for fun. It could include extensions
like logical names, queue commands, directory output etc.

Again, forget lock manager, rms, mailboxes and all other internal stuff. I
think Linux does a better job taking care of the dirty work...but a DCL
shell could be an interesting task 8-)

/Anders