Re: linux on HFS? why not HPFS instead?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Tue, 7 May 1996 09:27:24 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <hpa.318ecbdf.I.use.Linux@freya.yggdrasil.=
com>,
hpa@freya.yggdrasil.com (H. Peter Anvin) writes:
> >=20
> > On a case-preserving file system, of course, your Makefile would st=
ill be
> > fount when you type M<tab>. But the only reasonably compatible way =
to deal
> > with this issue is to have the HFS file system return an error if y=
ou try
> > to create a makefile when Makefile exists.
>=20
> Either that or overwrite the Makefile, which is what a Mac would do.

Yes, but the OS on a Mac warns you about that when you try to save
makefile, and it does find Makefile when you try to open makefile. This
will not work under Linux because we have a directory cache on the vfs
level which doesn't (and shouldn't) know about case insensitivity.

> Another issue is that the HFS pathname separator is : but / for UNIX;
> this of course can be dealt with by swapping : and / (i.e. you write
> the file "1:2" in UNIX, you really write "1/2" to the disk and mutus
> mutandis.)
>=20
There are a number of mappings you can think of (see the existing HFS
driver). There are also a number of mappings from the Mac file's resour=
ce
fork/finder info/data fork to anything from one to three Unix files.

--=20
MARTIN'S LAW:
Of all possible committee reactions to any given agenda item, the
reaction that will occur is the one which will liberate the greatest
amount of hot air.
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ Noris Network GmbH i.Gr/ Xlink-POP N=FCrnberg=
=20
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Linux+Internet / EMail: urlichs@nor=
is.de
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Programming+Networking+etc'i=
ng
PGP: 1024/4F578875 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=
=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://info.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>. =
42