Re: Java in OS?

Kai Henningsen (kai@khms.westfalen.de)
14 May 1996 20:04:00 +0200

steveo@mailhost.nmt.edu (Steven L. Anderson) wrote on 03.05.96 in <199605031442.IAA01775@lotus.nmt.edu>:

> If we are going to start talking about kernel daemons for languages,

We aren't. We're talking about support for new executable formats,
specifically those that need interpreters.

> how about coming up with a generic style for it. While the original

We already have it. We just need to use it.

> What are the advantages of having such a creature as part of
> the kernel anyway?

The same as the advantages of being able to exec() shell scripts.

There's one "interpreted" executable format that we could probably support
right now: the MS-DOS .EXE format. We'd need to invoke dosemu as
"interpreter".

MfG Kai