Re: Possible /etc/kernel.conf?

Taner Halicioglu (taner@sdsc.edu)
Tue, 14 May 1996 17:27:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 14 May 1996, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> > On Mon, 13 May 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:
> >
> > > You know. If a /proc/config existed, it could be used during kernel
> > > configuration also. An autoconfig would be only a script away.
> >
> > Well, it would be nice to have an /etc/kernel.conf file, actually. I'm not
> > sure how useful /proc/config would be, but it would be logical to make
> >
> No, a _file_ /etc/kernel.conf is IMO a bad idea. Those who really need to know how a kernel
> was built usually have more than one kernel to boot, so this information must
> be stored _in_ the kernel image.

Quite true... There really should be a /proc/config, IMHO. I wanted to
check if I had enabled IP Forwarding on one of my machines the other day,
and since I had compiled the kernel on another machine (and long since
blown away the source tree) I had to just recompile a kernel.

How hard would something like this be?

-Taner
taner@sdsc.edu The San Diego Supercomputer Center, Workstation Services
taner@ucsd.edu U. of California, San Diego - Revelle - Computer Sci.
IRC Admin for irc.sdsc.edu/irc.ucsd.edu/irc.cerf.net
taner@mecca.epri.com EPRI - 3412 Hillview Ave, Palo Alto, CA
-------------=[ Linux 1.3.* OS - http://www.sdsc.edu/~taner/ ]=---------------