Re: What is iBCS

Sat, 18 May 1996 10:20:16 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Derrik Pates wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
>

> > Then the answer's proberbly no, what is does is allow you to run binaries
> > in the iBCS2 format (like ELF, and a.out, iBCS is just a type of binary),
> > the thing about this type of binary is it's used on (amoungst other
> > things) SCO Unix, so you can get (for example) Word Perfect for SCO, and
> > run it on your Linux box.
>
> Not quite. All iBCS2 is is a specification for running Intel UN*X
> binaries (a.out, ELF, COFF, XOUT) across multiple platforms of UN*X. Yes,
> you can use SCO UNIX binaries, but there are others too, including XENIX
> and a few others. Look at the README in the iBCS source.

I was just trying to give an idea about what it's for, and I assume he's
not using, as he's not complaning that "my copy of XXX that I payed $$$
for isn't working anymore".

> > Nothing, it's just your startup scripts that are trying to insmod the
> > iBCS.o kernel module at boot time (proberbly without the .o ;). If you'r
> > sure that you don't use it (and it sound's like you don't), go look in
> > /etc/rc.d/* for the offending script, and comment the insmod (or it could
> > remotely be a modprobe) that's causing the problems (a good way would be
> > to issue this command (as root) 'find /etc/rc.d/ -type f -print
> > |xargs grep -n iBCS', this will find all occurances of iBCS, and tell you
> > the line number to look at as well).
>
> In case _you_ haven't looked in your etc/rc.d directory, there is an
> rc.ibcs2 script. All you have to do is edit that and comment out the line
> that loads the iBCS module into the system.

I have looked, and on my (Red Hat) box, it's loaded in
/etc/rc.d/rc[235].d/S<priority>ibcs, which are all symlinks to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/ibcs. I don't assume that all Linux boxes are the same,
you shoulden't either.

> P.S.: Please be a little more _informed_ about these things. If you are
> NOT SURE, tell people that you think that's how it works, but to ask
> someone else to be sure.

Likewise ....

> If someone's new to this, and you tell them this
> stuff, if they have no other source, they'll take it as gospel. Believe
> me, I've seen it a million times. (not quite, but close!)

Yes, I was only trying to give an _idea_ of that what it does, not an
exhaustive list of capabilities.
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.