Re: Pre2.0-8 & Sendmail

Gary Schrock (root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu)
Wed, 29 May 1996 10:40:16 -0400

At 02:13 PM 5/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Thanks for all who replyed so quickly. I thought I would list my findings
>for the benefit of all.
>
>Using sendmail versions prior to sendmail.8.7.0 dont work with the newer
>kernels. 8.7.0 work fine as does 8.7.5

Hmm, I must have something compiled wrong with sendmail then:

eyelab:~# telnet eyelab 25
Trying 35.8.64.179...
Connected to eyelab.psy.msu.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-eyelab.psy.msu.edu Sendmail 8.6.12/8.6.9 ready at Wed, 29 May 1996 09:30:42
-0400
220 ESMTP spoken here

500 Command unrecognized
quit
221 eyelab.psy.msu.edu closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
eyelab:~# cat /etc/motd
Linux 1.99.7. (POSIX).
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

The only problem I've had with sendmail is that every now and then it seems
to decide not to remove things from /var/spool/mqueue (or actually it's probably
the program that does the mail delivery), which tends to result in people
getting multiple copies of their mail.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu