Re: packages and the kernel

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sun, 2 Jun 1996 01:49:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Eddie C. Dost wrote:

(clip)

> > current dist. methods... the umsdos type kludge, with an eye for eventual
> ^^^^^^
> Please, think Un*x, keep this to somewhere off-topic, like
> huge-kernel-useless-overhead ;-)
>
> Sorry, just don't like it,
> Eddie.

I'm not saying it should be done and definitely for putting on the to-do
list... I'm only pointing out that it would take --almost no overhead-- to
do it... All you would need to do is copy an extra four or eight bytes per
inode.

As almost all end-users seem to be going to expensive (space and time-wise)
packaging distributions, we have created a system to system incompatibility
between Linux systems ... a universal solution may save _lots_ of time later
... but I'm going to be quiet until I understand the code a lot better. :)

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.99.7___
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men
of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.
-- Justice Louis D. Brandeis