Re: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 11:55:07 +0300 (EET DST)

> On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > Rather then having to support every card natively why not just support
> > > VESA standard version 2.0?
> >
> > Arghh.. thud thud thud
> >
> > VESA last time I looked was a 16 bit standard
>
> 2.0 is 32-bit protected mode.

Is it a 64-bit one? Does it work on alpha's, MIPS's, ARM's, Sparcs, PowerPC's
etc etc?

Is anybody home at all there? The _only_ standard there is for anything like
this is X. There simply isn't any reasonable alternative.

I'm not saying we should kill SVGAlib and DOSemu and GGI etc etc, but they
should be considered temporary solutions to specific problems, NOT a generic
kernel kind of thing. As such, they get the minimal kernel support they
deserve, and nothing more (and that support they already have).

Linus