Re: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu)
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 02:42:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > > Arghh.. thud thud thud
> > >
> > > VESA last time I looked was a 16 bit standard
> >
> > 2.0 is 32-bit protected mode.
>
> Is it a 64-bit one? Does it work on alpha's, MIPS's, ARM's, Sparcs, PowerPC's
> etc etc?

Not sure, actually. Lots of video cards are PCI-based, and both
Apples and Alphas, as ell as generic PPC boxes, have PCI slots, however,
that wouldn't affect the GGI.

> Is anybody home at all there?

Very.

> The _only_ standard there is for anything like
> this is X. There simply isn't any reasonable alternative.

Only because no one has written one yet.

> I'm not saying we should kill SVGAlib and DOSemu and GGI etc etc, but they
> should be considered temporary solutions to specific problems, NOT a generic
> kernel kind of thing. As such, they get the minimal kernel support they
> deserve, and nothing more (and that support they already have).

Hm. Well, we will continue to work on the GGI, and hopefully
someday we can convince you to give us a shot. As far as X goes, we hope
to someday convince the XFree86 people to write a GGI-using X server.
Another big coup would be id software and crack dot com. If we could
present them with an API that let them write non-X-using games (other
than SVGAlib), they might be inclined to use it rather than X.

Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long