Re: Alan's bug catalogue

Steven S. Dick (ssd@nevets.oau.org)
Mon, 3 Jun 96 11:17 EDT

In article <96Jun3.124447+0100met_dst.2218-3362+1@work.smurf.noris.de> you write:
>In linux.dev.kernel, article <96Jun2.200243+0100met_dst.2218-295+72@work.smurf.noris.de>,
> I wrote:
>>
>> SCSI with AHA1542 cannot be loaded entirely as module: SCSI DMA seems to
>> get corrupted (most obviously when accessing a CD-ROM).

This is the config I am using, and I've had no problems.

>Steps to reproduce the problem:
>- Compile a kernel with scsi.
>- Load aha1542 and sr_mod.
>- Mount a CD-ROM.
> -> SCSI DMA out-of-memory, disabling scatter-gather, ...

Does the error occur immediately?

My configuration:

Linux nevets 1.99.9 #6-pre-2.0 Sat Jun 1 08:47:54 EDT 1996 i486
pure a.out system
gcc version 2.7.2
AHA 1542CF

Module: #pages: Used by:
st 6 0
isofs 5 1
sr_mod 4 1
ppp 5 0
slhc 2 [ppp] 0
ne 2 1
8390 2 [ne] 0
sd_mod 3 2
aha1542 3 3
scsi_mod 7 [st sr_mod sd_mod aha1542] 4

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
Vendor: NEC Model: D3827 Rev: 0410
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: TANDBERG Model: TDC 3600 Rev: U07:
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 01
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
Vendor: NRC Model: MBR-7 Rev: 110
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
[ID 06 has LUN 00 through 06]

When I first read your message, I mounted a CD and tar'ed its contents
to /dev/null. This has been running for maybe 15 minutes without any
problems. I am I not doing enough to repeat the problem, or does the
problem just not exist on my system? Or am I running a fixed kernel? :)

Steve
ssd@nevets.oau.org