Re: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu)
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 15:36:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Jon Tombs wrote:

> Matty said:
>
> > Not really.. I think the point is that the kernel drivers do all the
> > low-level stuff that requires kernel/superuser privs, and any user-level
> > program that wishes to perform these functions must call the kernel
> > routines to do it for them. It's not meant to be a REPLACEMENT for X,
> > after all, what CAN replace X? :) Think about it - there will be no
> > need for a million & one setuid-0 X server binaries that are 2-3Mb in
> > size! One generic server would be enough, which calls the kernel to do
> > the card-specific routines, and hence doesn't need to be setuid-0.
>
> so instead of several 2-3Mb Xservers you suggest several 2-3Mb Kernel
> loadable modules???

I doubt if they'd be a tenth of that size. Remember, all our
divers do is provide a linear framebuffer and hooks into cards-specific
accelerations/drawing primitives, if present. No library code, no X
server code, no mouse handling code, etc.

Jon Taylor = <taylorj@gaia.ecs.csus.edu> | <http://gaia.ecs.csus.edu/~taylorj>
Moderation is for monks." - Lazarus Long