Re: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

Ingo Molnar (mingo@kaliban.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:51:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 4 Jun 1996, eyal wrote:

> I am not sure what the debate really is about. I do see the gfx card as just
> another piece of hardware, and if a kernel driver is right for one device then
> it is right for the other.

not really. The debate is if the only code that uses gx drivers is X. We
seem to go into that direction. (DirectDraw()). And then it's perfectly
ok that X has direct access to the hardware.

[ well, i still maintain that a kernel trap is cheaper than an IPC call,
but if the price would be X in the kernel -> brrr. And if X would be
still a separate process, then we had the IPC AND the kernel trap
overhead -> this is a loss i think ]

-- mingo