Re: IP Masquerading

Miguel Armas (kuko@cic.teleco.ulpgc.es)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:46:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Michael Mathers wrote:

> I am having some trouble with IP Masquerading with kernel 1.99.10
> that I did not have with 1.3.98
>
> When I FTP now I recieve a
> ftp> dir
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 425 Can't build data connection: Host is unreachable.
> ftp>
>
> I have been unable to FIND a Masquerading FAQ. The one site I have seen
> ftp.eves.com from the NET-2-HOWTO is unresponsive and has been for weeks.
>
> I have masquerading partially working. It works with TCP but it seems
> that UDP services are not.. It *WAS* working for me with an earlier
> kernel. I did not do extensive testing, however. Actually, come to
> think of it, it may not have been working before earlier. I was using
> Netscape to FTP which I think uses TCP. I dunno. If someone could
> point me to a FAQ I'd be much appreciated. As of right now, I don't know
> if masquerading even supports UDP yet or I just have set it up wrong.
> (I did it via trial-and-error)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem... you have to load the module ip_masq_ftp to use
FTP and masquerading, I did it and now it works. There is also an
ip_masq_irc module to use IRC.

CU!
Miguel Armas del Rio kuko@cic.teleco.ulpgc.es
ETSI de Telecomunicaciones http://calvo.teleco.ulpgc.es/
Universidad de Las Palmas PGP public key available:
Spain finger kuko@cic.teleco.ulpgc.es