Re: Speed of memcpy, csum_partial and csum_partial_copy

Robert L Krawitz (rlk@tiac.net)
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 15:40:44 -0400

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 20:21:15 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi>

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> Several people have sped the checksum/copy code up over time. If you can
> speed it further then you will be number 4, and since the performance of
> these routines is very critical then the patches will be welcome.

Just to show exactly _how_ important, here's some profiling info of a
machine that has been busy doing TCP over loopback (everything >= 0.5%
included):

Linus, is there any possibility of putting the FPU memcpy into 2.1 as
an experimental feature? I've gotten a lot of good feedback from the
pentium-memcpy list (the only person who's been having problems is on
an SMP).

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@tiac.net>           http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net Tall Clubs International -- tci-request@aptinc.com or 1-800-521-2512