Re: Problem: how to identify source code points for latency profiling

Mon, 10 Jun 1996 12:46:12 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> i will use the IP pointer instead of __FILE__ and __LINE__ then, as a
> global identifier for source code points. It's more robust anyways.
>
> about transforming IP values (code addresses) into symbols later:
>
> i guess line info is lost or hard to recover. I can do function name
> matching, based on the symbol map [like readprofile], but this isnt enough
> for identifying cli()-s and sti()-s in most cases :((
>
> so this looks like trouble :( IP values are not human readable enough

Why don't you do both, that way you get the file/line numbers, and the
function names. You can then sift the output, and can proberbly get the
best of both methods.

> -- mingo

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.