Re: rationale behind /proc filesystem? (wuz Re: 2.0, loggings....)

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de)
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 22:09:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Hasdi R Hashim wrote:
> > Why not add a syscall? Can somebody explain this me? :}
> >

> Hmm, well as far as I rember, we stole the idea from AT&T^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
> saw it in some AT&T Unix, and 'borrowed' the idea ;)

Actually this comes from Plan9, a new designed OS from the AT&T labs
with some of the same people working in the background working, that
already "invented" the original AT&T Unix.

It is a beast you have to get used to. Some people love it, others
hate it for the strangest reasons.

Mike

"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true US
companies like Microsoft." -- Some AOL'er.