Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:56:43 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Robert Glamm wrote:

> Doh, someone tell me to RTFM... ;)
>
> I still don't think that it should ever be implemented. If you've got
> home dirs on an almost-full disk (i.e., like 99%), you could conceivably
> be ``wasting'' maybe 5, 10, even 20% on undeleted files, and the full disk
> would become a needless annoyance (IMHO :). Does someone
> have stats on how often & what size files are deleted/created/modeified
> in a home directory structure? Almost sounds like a computer science
> master's thesis topic to me.. ;)

Well just to tell you to RTFM, it's in the file system, but it's not
honored (hmm, I really don't like this spelling, but it's in my
/usr/dict/words so ....) by the kernel (ie the kernel currently ignores
these bits).

Anyway, root still has 5% of the disk for cleaning up after the users
(well assuming you didn't kill that off ;).

If the undelete stuff was fixed, I'd want to have a cron job that scaned
the undeleteable deleted files, and really got rid of them after a set
time (depending on your avalable disk space anything from 1 hour to weeks).

Also you'd have to make it a real pain for users to undelete stuff if the
files arn't part of there quota (ie just keep the file's deletion date
under 5 days, and it's never purged, instant free disk space).

You could make sure it's part of there quota, and it's not a problem,
except when you have users mailing that they can't save even though
they've got no files in there home directory (though you could allow them
access to the purge command in the same way is passwd works (ie 'passwd' is
me, 'passwd user' is user, and only root can specify a user name).

> --
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.