Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 14:31:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Benson L Chow wrote:

> Also I'm not sure if there has been stuff written or modified, but there
> seems something can still be done with the scheduler/swapper. Again in
> the afformentioned kernels, a cycle/IO hungry process can really impact
> system performance. I was quite horrified comparing my Sparc clone
> (SunOS 403) which had 8MB (12ms SCSI2 in SCSI1 mode HD) versus a 8MB
> 486/33 (10ms ISA IDE HD) ... Granted the 486 would be slower, but the
> Sparc has a BIG problem with RAM since the kernel eats up 3 MB (whereas
> Linux kernels take up around 1MB) However, SunOS works with swap much
> more smoothly than the 486 box under heavy load (you can actually do
> stuff on the sparc when the 486 is crawling).

Trying to compare apple and oranges, aren't you ?
The 486 IDE does programmed I/O while the Sparc SCSI does busmastering
DMA... The 486 was horribly disadvantaged.

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Internet: duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca Qc, Canada
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

-- Geek Code 2.1 --
GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

#include <disclaimer.h>