Re: That damn CHANGES file

Melvin Smith (msmith@quix.robins.af.mil)
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 18:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

> Anno Domini 16 Jun 96 at 13:01, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > How about DUMBASS_READ_THIS? ;-)
> >
> Here is a snippet of message ...
>
> >>Most distributions I get the Changes files contains a bunch of
> >>details I usually don't care about so I don't bother to read it.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Good grief...

All of us that have been following the kernel of course know about
the Changes file. It is however, stupid to pretend that it is a good
name for the file. Every GNU and many non-GNU package you get contains
a Changes* series of files which do not contain upgrade info, instead
contains RCS info. Is it so hard to at least sympathize?

> >>I always read the READMEs tho. That be another good place to put it
> >>is a README in the top directory of the tar file.
>
> >>Also I took a look in the Documentation directory too but when I was
> >>looking through the list I was just looking for READMEs not
> >>'Changes'.
>
> I don't have a solution for this, sorry...

I don't think you have a solution for anything.
Stop heckling the poor guys already. :(

Melvin