Re: more make help

Mark E. Levitt (melevitt@mailbox.syr.edu)
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 01:09:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Kevin M Bealer wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Graham Mitchell wrote:
>
> > On 15 Jun 96 at 10:28, Mark E. Levitt wrote:
> (clip)
> > Maybe we should alter the Makefile so that the compile would fail
> > unless the last line of the Changes file is something along the lines
> > of 'I have read and understood the contents of the changes file' Then
> > again, would even that make people read the file.....?

Please watch your quoting. You clipped out everything I wrote but left
in the reference so it looks, at a glance, like I wrote the above
paragraph. I didn't, and I don't agree with it.

> I said "oh a changelog file" and started reading it. When I got through all
> the warnings about system compatibility, I was --surprised-- to find there
> was no changes listed at the bottom.. Then I realized I was mistaken,
> read-not-skimmed the intro, and continued.

Yes, I suspect this is problem. Is there any reason not to change the
file to something more indicative, or at least to "README"? Hoe about
"UPGRADING_INFO"? "UPGRADING_HELP" "IMPORTANT"?
"READ_THIS_OR_WE'LL_SHOOT_YOUR_PUPPY"? (This last one is a joke, for the
humor impaired :)

Mark E. Levitt
Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University
E-mail: melevitt@syr.edu
Home Page: http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint = B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html