Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:20:08 -0400

Date: Sat, 15 Jun 1996 10:55:10 +0100 (BST)
From: Bryn Paul Arnold Jones <bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk>

> Hmm.. I guess I should update the man page. The user-side code to set
> the attribute was written, but the kernel-side support for the attribute
> hasn't been done yet.

It's ok, in the bugs section, it sais that the u, and c bits are not
honored by the kernel (but I knew this when I wrote that mail). Any
ideas on how this was ment to be implemented ?

It hadn't really been planned out in a lot of detail. The general idea
was that the file would get moved to a single "undelete directory",
where the "undelete directory" would be a reserved inode. A special
program would be needed to rescue files from the "undelete directory",
and users would only be able to see files that they had deleted.

Like the Macintosh, if the filesystem needed space, which it couldn't
get by using unusued blocks, it would raid the "undelete directory" and
automatically unlink the least recently deleted file in order to make
room for more space on the filesystem.

It's this last feature, BTW, which justifies a kernel implementation of
undelete. Without this, and you might as well just implement undelete
as a user prorgram; there are number of those floating around on the
Net.

- Ted