Re: Linux and not version dirs

Todd Graham Lewis (tlewis@mindspring.com)
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:46:31 -0400

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Systemkennung Linux wrote:

> I personally'd much prefer to distribute the sources in in a directory
> linux-<version> and to symlink /usr/src/linux to the actual sourcetree
> in use. This would then also be a bit more consistent with the
> GNU coding standards which are already being used by lots of other
> Linux related software, not only GNU stuff.

I second this motion. I maintain separate trees for each of my running
kernels. (Sue me for snarfing the entire tarball; I'm a T3 away from
ftp.cc.gatech.edu 8^)

>From time to time I will unthinkingly untar the source and overwrite
whichever tree is symlink'ed to /usr/src/linux. Whether I overwrite or
not, I still have to "mv linux linux-2.0; ln -s linux-2.0 linux",
which is no big deal, but it is a pain.

# tar zxvf linux-2.0.tar.gz
# ls -l
total 11553
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jun 9 15:12 linux -> linux-2.0
drwxr-xr-x 15 root root 1024 Jun 9 17:24 linux-2.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5971891 Jun 9 17:26 linux-2.0.tar.gz

would be a much nicer way of doing things.

Todd Graham Lewis Core Engineering Mindspring Enterprises
tlewis@mindspring.com (Standard Disclaimers) (800) 719 4664, x2804